We had a family headstand contest the other night. Clay started it and helped Koen do his very first headstand. This was also Clay's first headstand in a very long time....and mine. Luckily, there is no picture to prove that I did it. I think Clay was surprised that I could. Koen thinks he has very tricky parents.
A short story...
We had the PEPS group over to play at our house this morning. Koen and Hannah spent the majority of the morning playing alone in Koen's room. They were playing make believe...driving around in the plastic inflatable car and talking on their 'cell phones'. They even had 'pretend' lunch in Alfdrina.
I went in to check on them and saw Hannah holding the tiny leather camel that Grandpa brought to Koen from Morocco. It had been placed high up on the bookshelf, intentionally out of reach. Hmmmm. Knowing that Hannah is a very determined little girl, I directed most of my 'It's not safe to climb bookshelves' lecture at her. She listened carefully, but her face remained blank and she had no response...neither did Koen.
Later, as Koen and I sat and ate lunch together, he told me a story about how he wanted to show Hannah his little camel. Something about a chair...then something about 'way up high'. Pretty soon I realized that the very culprit of the climbing crime was my own son. I looked at him in amazement. He's never even attempted this sort of thing (at least not that I've seen)! He also took care to remove the evidence by putting his tiny desk chair back in its place.
As I revisited my lecture about climbing safety, telling him that it's not O.K. to stand on chairs, I suddenly realized how often I grab a dining chair to reach something in our high cupboards. He's learned from me. Oops.
Another short story...
This afternoon, I took Finn over to visit our 96 year old neighbor, Maxine. She had brought me a bag of apples from her tree, so with them I made my very first apple pie! It actually turned out, to my surprise...so I took her a piece. Anyway, Finn, the baby who always has a gummy smile for anyone who looks his way, would not smile at her. He cautiously studied her face, with a concerned look on his. She really wanted to hold him, so we sat in her living room and she snuggled him on her lap. And for the very first time, he looked scared. It was sweet and sad. He sat on her lap, his eyes fixated on mine as if to say, "Mommy, take me back!" And the whole time she had him, he focused on me without blinking...almost as if he thought any blink of his eyes would make me disappear. When I noticed his bottom lip poke out, forming his signature 'pouty face', I reached out and rescued him. Sweet boy. He's starting to figure who his 'peeps' are.
Extra tidbits...
Finn is the slobberiest baby I've ever met! The kid can soak through a drool bib in about 10 minutes flat! Lately, anything he can get his hands on goes in his mouth...it's non-stop! And you should see my shoulders when I hold him upright. He has a thing for sucking on my shirt...it starts the second his mouth makes contact with my shoulder. He makes sweet sucking sounds and you know he's completely content. After a few minutes, my whole shoulder is wet! I give up...glamour is over rated anyway! Check out the bubbles on his chin. This is how he looks 70% of the time. I don't remember Koen ever drooling this much!



No comments:
Post a Comment