Behold...the first fruit of our efforts! Koen and I have taken up gardening in several forms. We have five tomato plants in pots, we have a hanging Topsy Turvy of strawberry plants, and a small plot at the community garden down the street.
After weeks of tender loving care and patience, we have a strawberry! Woo-hoo! Yes, it is white as a ghost, but will hopefully turn red before Koen loses interest. I'm excited for him to see this growing process and to learn where his food comes from. I also hope he learns to love tomatoes and strawberries (two fruits that he currently doesn't care for).
And another benefit...Koen is learning to appreciate bugs...yes, BUGS! His all time nemesis! I'm trying to show him all the bugs, worms, spiders, and bees in the garden, explaining how they are beneficial for the plants. So far, he's been very receptive and curious. He still won't hold a bug, but he's getting closer. :)
Exhibit A: a ladybug on our strawberry plant yesterday.
Koen named him 'Pop'. I told him that the ladybug was so happy, sitting on a leaf, feeling the warm sun on his back while he waited for his lunch to come crawling by. Koen got up close to look at 'Pop'. Then, in all earnest he said, "Mom, I want to see his smile."
Here is Koen, gardener and painter, hard at work on his latest masterpiece (a watercolor for a certain someone with a birthday coming up!)



No comments:
Post a Comment