Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patty's Day!

Well, I guess something is better than nothing.  We made a little video today to share on the blog, but wouldn't you know, my phone hiccuped during recording and the last half is all out of sync.  Figures.

Koen and I butted heads this morning over whether or not he would wear green today.  He is going through an "I-don't-want-to-participate-in-group-activities-or-do-anything-that-you-suggest-I-should-do" phase.  It's difficult.  He detests 'yoga' day at school and goes out of his way to sit on the floor with his shoes on while everyone else learns yoga poses in their bare feet.

So this morning, he told me several times that he was going to wear a BLUE shirt, rather than a green one. I finally won the battle by explaining the 'pinching' game to him.  I hadn't wanted to go there.  But I knew that if he ended up the only kid in his class that didn't get the 'wear green' memo, he would've felt really embarrassed.  So I brought up the pinching.

And wouldn't you know, he came home all smiles, telling me how all the kids were wearing green and how they all had fun talking about NOT pinching each other.  Whew!  I'm so glad he wore that darn shirt!  :)

Here's the video (use your best lip-reading skills at the end!):




Other stuff to mention:

Finn wants to do everything by himself.  He says, "DO it" (with great inflection on do).   This applies to everything from brushing his own teeth, to eating soup, to putting on his shoes, to zipping up his coat...and on and on.

Finn's latest discovery is the joy of spitting (you know, the tongue out, lips flapping kind?).  It's even more exciting for him when he does it with a mouthful of milk.  He also LOVES his morning smoothie and calls it a "siu-mee" (which is eerily similar to the way he says 'excuse me').  When he sees me making the ice cold treat, he starts to yell from his high-chair, "Siu-meee!"  And when I finally hand it to him, he sucks it down at the speed of light.  Yep, the poor guy has now been introduced to brain freeze!  The first time was the saddest.  He looked at me and cried, while he held his hands on his little head.  Owie!  I know the feeling, buddy!

Koen made his own peanut butter sandwich for lunch today...first time!  He said it tasted better than mine and enthusiastically gobbled it up.  I told him he had earned himself a new job.

Koen also has a minor sassy streak that he's testing out.  This morning when I said, "Koen, I have a challenge for you!  (he likes a challenge)  Go see how many seconds it takes you to get dressed and make your bed!"  His reply was, "Mom, I have a challenge for you!  Go see how many seconds it takes you to make breakfast for me!"  

Nice.

1 comment:

SignalToNoise said...

what do you have against 8?