Thursday, January 3, 2013

"Late Childhood"

Those two words at the bottom of Koen's well child exam record made me take pause and quite honestly catch my breath. How could my sweet baby be in Late Childhood?  Really? This makes me want to quit my job tomorrow and spend every waking minute with these little munchkins....wait, I feel like that all the time.  :|



Koen had an impromptu annual check-up yesterday with the pediatrician.

It was sort of an ambush, since he and I only popped in for copies of records before going to the bank. But when the doctor offers to squeeze you in within the next 30 seconds, how can you refuse. I'm pretty sure I watched all of the blood drain from Koen's face as he listened to our conversation.

But alas, there was no 'pinch' to be had (also known as a shot), so he regained color quickly and was a great sport.


Quick facts:

Age: 6 yrs, 2 months, 1 day
Weight: 51 lbs.  (85%)
Height: 48.5 in.  (95%  Tall kid!)

No joke, when the doc asked Koen a few questions about his favorite foods to eat, he made his mama beam with pride.  :)

Fruit:  Raspberries
Vegetable:  Broccoli
All time favorite food:  Oatmeal

And during our spontaneous appointment, I couldn't help but look around the room at the familiar frog murals, frog clocks, frog books and stuffed frogs and remember. Six years, 2 months, and 2 days ago, I sat, 9 months pregnant, in that very chair, in that same frog room...interviewing Dr. Carol to see if she was 'The One'. Turns out, she was.

It was Halloween, and I went into labor that very night.

No comments: