I just wanted to share a few funny stories and tidbits about the kids lately, mostly for the purpose of documentation. I forget so much lately, but I don't want to forget the most important things...the little things.
- Koen has been waking up and playing quietly in his room before we get up in the morning. Sometimes he plays with Finn in his crib and reads him books. We can hear their conversations on the baby monitor near our bed. When Finn starts to get antsy and whiny, Koen says in a very nurturing voice, "I'll get your mom. Do you want me to get your mom, Finn? Yes? Ok." This makes me smile.
- Our new favorite quiet time activity (during Finn's nap) is to write stories. Koen sits at the table and draws a picture. When he's done, I come in and listen as he describes the picture and corresponding story to me. I do my best to transcribe everything he says onto the back. He loves to listen as I read the entire story back to him. I can see the pride on his face, knowing that he made all of it up...all by himself. Then on the front, I write out one or two of the key words from his story so he can practice writing the words himself. He's completely tickled with his new writing skills. Practice makes perfect!
- Koen takes pretty good pictures lately (including the following self portrait). I'm often surprised when I upload photos from my camera and find some interesting shots (and video) that I had nothing to do with.
Koen, photographer
This is one of his recent videos. I have to give him credit. He's very careful with the camera and knows how to turn it on and off, point, shoot, and put it away like it never happened.
Finn's hair is taking on a life of its own. He often has a large rat's nest in back, tangled and fluffy. His bangs are long and well on their way to reaching the tip of his nose now. They often have mysterious bits of food plastered in them. Finn is the king of smearing his messy hands all over his face and hair just as I'm about to clean him up. I need faster reflexes.
Finnie, fresh out of the bath.
Cheeseball poser.
This time it's an opened envelope from a bill. Why not, right?
- Finn loves to say 'Hahh!' (hot) and blow on his food. It doesn't matter what it is, he just enjoys doing something that the rest of us do. The other day he tried to tell me that his peanut butter and jelly sandwich was hot. And last night, I caught him blowing on the ice cream cone that I was 'sharing' with him. Finnie, the ice cream is not hot.
- He has a thing for the springy door stoppers in our home. He manages to unscrew one and carry it around the house for a while. I find them everywhere and I've gotten to the point where I don't bother to replace them for a few days.
- He still loves to remove his socks, but the bonus part is that he sucks on the sock for a while. Later, I find it, sad and soaked on the floor.
- He waves and says 'bye' when we lay him down to sleep in his crib. It is hard not to giggle when you see his tiny, waving hand, through the darkness.
- Each time I come around the side of the car to get Finn out of his car seat, he waits...quiet and still...hidden by the tinted window. Then as soon as I open the door he JUMPS (in his car seat) and yells to scare me. He then cracks up laughing at his own sneakiness. It is pretty cute.
- And lastly, Finn is obsessed with the Christmas lights decorating the houses and yards around town. He whimpers and cries out from the back seat, "Yie! Yie!" (lights) and if I don't immediately acknowledge the colorful lights we just passed by, he gets louder and more frantic. Then he wildly signs 'more' with his hands and says "Moe...yie!" (meaning lets find more). But quite honestly, it has revived my Christmas spirit this season to hear his utter thrill and see the wondrous wide eyes and beautiful smile on his face as he sees each colorful display. It's enough to choke you up. I find myself driving around for a few more minutes each night, or taking a new route home from wherever we've been so that we can see 'moe...yie'. Thank you, Finnie, for bringing the childlike excitement back.



No comments:
Post a Comment