Thursday, October 1, 2009

School Boy

Wedgewood Co-op Preschool is in session! Koen has gone a couple of times now and we can safely say that he is a huge fan. Teacher Andrea runs the show and she is more than perfect! I can even describe how much we adore her.

During the summer she sent the kids home with a CD of herself singing all the preschool songs and chants. Koen has listened to it a hundred times over. And each new day, as she sings each of the songs, a massive smile creeps across his face. Now, when I play the music in the house, it only takes but a minute and he has parked himself near the stereo speakers with Scruffy so he can listen and sing along. I'm so happy that he's into it all.

Koen on his very first day!
Yep! He's still making faces!




Let's back up to the first day he went without me, though. What a scene! Our friends, Barb and Drew, are also in the class. She takes the kids one day, while I watch our two babies. And then we swap for the second day. So the first time she came to pick Koen up, he fell apart. I spent 15 minutes trying to get his shoes on, all the while he was kicking and screaming. Then I carried him out to the car...still kicking and screaming....buckled into the car seat (with immense effort)...still kicking and screaming plus snot bubbles...then driving away...you guessed it, still kicking and screaming. YIKES.

I spent the next two hours worrying and wondering, was he continuing the trauma in the classroom causing a major disruption? Or was he curled up in a little corner, mumbling and staring at the wall? It was a long wait. At least I had two cute little munchkins to help me pass the time. I put on the moby wrap, twin style, and we took a walk around the block. These two are going to be best buddies in no time.


Allison and Finn



In the end, he came home with a huge grin and completely stoked. Barb told me that he carried on in that manner for exactly one block, then he decided he was done...and that was that. He had a wonderful day at school.

So today Barb came to pick him up for the second time and I was definitely holding my breath in fear of another epic battle. But he practically skipped out to the car this time and climbed in the car seat, saying 'hi' to Drew who waited quietly. He gave me a hug and kiss, then said, "Bye Mommy!" Wow! Success! It's gonna be an awesome year.


No comments: