Saturday, June 26, 2010

Low Tide Beach Tour

Amidst the chaos of our moving activities, we snuck away for a little fun on the beach. It was 'Family Low Tide Beach Walk' day at Discovery Park. Koen was well equipped with his red boots (or so I thought). But by the end of the morning, I was wishing I'd put him in some fly fishing waders...do they make those for 3 year-olds? He was soaked to the bone. So wet that while stomping up the path to the car, he stumbled on a log and water came pour out of the tops of his boots.

I stripped him down at the car. Then he sat eating his PB & J in his underwear, giggling as I poured two quarts of water out of his boots.

It was a smashing fun time, though. We discovered hermit crabs, anemones, starfish, barnacles, water squirting clams and many other creatures whose names I can't recall. And aside from the zoology lesson, there was plenty of running, splashing and pretending that we were 'going on a bear hunt and going to catch a big one!' (darling book, if you've never read it).


We found a 'club house' on the beach!



After tromping around on seaweed all morning, we carried over the theme at lunch time when we ate rice cakes dusted with tamari and seaweed. When I helped Koen make the correlation, he sat very quietly chewing the stuff that looked awfully slimy and dirty back at the beach.




Starfish! Under the rock!





We managed to get proof that Finn and I were present.


Fun. Fun. We're going back soon.

No comments: