After packing, moving, and unpacking (with two small children following me around, undoing everything I do), I've wanted to do nothing but play lately. Unfortunately, the blog went on the back burner during this crazy month we've had.
Our favorite thing to do lately is explore and compare new playgrounds, especially those with splash pads. Koen jumps right in to the spray with little hesitation. He loves stomping on the squirting holes in the ground to see if he can stop the flow. Finn has little fear, himself. He enjoys sitting right in front of one of such holes, waiting for it to blast. Then he desperately tries to grasp the stream of water, all the while spraying himself in the face. I get a kick out of watching this.
Finn's funny, too, because he'll suddenly realize he's in the middle of the chaos, water showering down in all directions and kids zipping wildly around him. So he looks in my direction and starts to whine, "Save me, Mom!" But when I jump in and whisk him away, he gets mad and wants me to put him back down to play. Can't win.
Here's a shot of the boys going down a slide together. Koen is wanting more and more to include Finn in all playground activities. He wants to slide with him, he wants to spin him on the merry-go-round, he wants to ride on the see-saw with him. They're becoming little buddies and I love it!
This is just a random picture of Finn in the tub. Koen often points out how long Finn's hair is growing. We told Koen that someday Finn might have hair like his, so he is constantly checking for the progress.
Lately, we're getting a lot of 'potty' talk out of Koen. I keep thinking I should be trying harder to discourage it. But then I also keep hearing from various parents that it's just a 'boy' thing...they all do it. His favorite words are poop, stinky, and toot. Each instigates a fit of laughter from Koen, and he's the one saying it! The punch line to all of his jokes is always one of the three words. The name of any new pretend friend or story character...Stinky. Hmmm...I figure I should just get used to it, for I have a few years of this ahead of me. Finn will soon become Koen's eager audience, I'm sure.
Something a bit more amusing to me is the way Koen talks about growing up lately. He loves thinking and speculating about the days when he will be a daddy ('grown-up', rather than 'father'). And each milestone he brings to my attention (facial hair, sleeping in a big bed, going to work) has the same end result...he says, "and then I'll be able to drive a car like daddy!" I think he's quite obsessed with being able to drive a car.
Finn is the boy of one thousand faces. He's so funny. Sometimes we don't even recognize some of the faces he makes because he does them so often. Lately, they are turning into the cheesier variety. He squints his eyes and smiles a giant toothy grin with his chin forced out. I should really just try to capture it in a photo.
Unfortunately, he is also perfecting the art of whining. It usually starts promptly at 6 am and continues until his late morning nap. This truly rattles my nerves and I'm trying desperately to mentally block it out each day. Hopefully it's just a phase. Oh, and did I mention that he only does it for me? He'll be perfectly fine with Clay, or playing with Koen. Then I enter the room, or simply walk by, and the noise begins.
As an added bonus, he is starting to throw in the whole 'my body is a noodle' thing. So now, with the loud, open-mouthed whine aimed in my general direction, he also collapses his whole body into a heap on the floor...usually face down. I must say, this new development is hard to resist laughing at. Silly boy.
We got to sneak away to Portland to hang out with some of the extended Greenleaf clan for a weekend. Cousin Shannon married new cousin Robert. We were so glad to be able to attend the wedding, despite the little black cloud that seemingly followed us all over the city.
(Koen's hand got sucked into the hotel elevator door, Finn fell off the bed, Koen wet the bed...with Clay in it, Finn pulled a glass of wine off a table, spilling it all over himself, and Koen pulled my skirt down to my knees at the wedding reception, etc.. Good times).
Here Papa is bouncing Finn in the hotel.
A few moments later, the wine glass incident occurred forcing an unplanned outfit change. Didn't Finn look handsome...for a minute anyway?
The following two shots show a disturbing trend, despite the affection behind the act. Koen likes to carry Finn around lately. Unfortunately, it usually happens via the choke hold.
Two gentlemen, waiting for the streetcar.
We were thrilled to introduce Finn to his great-grandparents for the first time.
Out for a stroll along the river.
Here are the kids at the wedding reception. My handsome boys. Koen wore jeans that evening. This is because as we walked out of the hotel, on our way to the wedding, he had an 'accident' in his dress slacks. :) Didn't mention that one above.
Anyway, there is a quick and dirty update on the past three weeks. Congrats Shannon & Robert!



1 comment:
great work!!!
Post a Comment