I mentioned Scruffy's diaper change the other day? Well, today, as I was cleaning the house, I came in to the hallway to find Koen providing his gorilla with the best medical care a 2 year is capable of. Gorilla was having his nails trimmed, hair brushed, ears and mouth swabbed, diaper changed, and temperature checked. By the way, he refers to the ear scan thermometer as a 'temperature-er'. All of this 'equipment' is kept in a drawer in Koen's bedroom. He managed to get each of these items out (mind you, he can't even see the top of the drawer, let alone what's inside it!). And when he was finished with the exam, he carefully put them all back where they belong....beautiful! I simply grabbed the camera and tried to capture the tender moment.
O.k. Once again, my link doesn't work...you'll have to copy and paste into your browser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnffAK1pVaw&layer_token=c011e0555af03f97
Some other things to report:
A phrase of Koen's that I love is, "Where's it goings?" He asks this when talking to himself, mostly...for example when a ball rolls away from him. I just love that he pluralizes (if you can call it that) the word 'going'. So funny. He also calls his facial washcloths 'wipe-its'. This must come from the fact that I'm always saying "Mommy needs to 'wipe it' first before Koen takes a turn". He loves to wipe up his tray after he eats.
Clay gave him his first, substantial hair cut the other night. I believe several more hairs were trimmed than Clay had planned. Apparently, Koen would not hold still (can you believe that?). So the more snips Clay made, the more he had to make...you get the picture. Anyway, after about 20 curiously quiet minutes in the bathroom, Clay hollered out for me....it didn't sound confident. So I entered to find Clay, scissors in hand, with a look of concern on his face and a large handful of curls in the waste bin. "This isn't easy!" he said. We're afraid most of the curls might be long gone, but at least he won't be mistaken for a girl for a few months anyway. (You might have noticed the new do in the video)
Finally, I have another picture to add to my collection of 'favorite views of my son'. This one is harder to capture, but I was finally willing to accept the consequences the other night. Luckily, the flash had no effect on sleeping beauty. I go into Koen's room every single night, it's the very last thing I do each day. I announce that I'm going to 'check in on him', but really I just go in there to marvel at the sight of his peaceful slumber. He's usually breathing heavily, and his hair is mostly wet with sweat (boy, the curls really come back then!). And ever so often, I happen upon this sight...
Whenever his soft, dimpled hand is dangling through the posts, I can't help but kneel down next to his bed and hold it for a little while. I'm pretty sure I could sit there all night, gently rubbing his hand on my cheek or kissing his tiny fingers...but eventually my legs start to go numb, and then the party ends. But I love this moment like no other and I know it won't last forever. Cherish these precious moments...that's what I try to do.



1 comment:
The sleeping photo is priceless! I love it.
Post a Comment