Thursday, February 5, 2009

Views

So it's been known for a while now that the city had plans to install a "noise reduction wall" along the freeway across from our house....and now it's here. Crews have been working nightly all week, using a massive crane, positioned down on the freeway. And here is the finished product (before and after).





Various friends and neighbors have dubbed it the 'prison wall' (a term I've come to agree with). They say that when they drive up to our house at night, they expect to see search lights and guards patrolling the perimeter. However, Koen has somewhat of a more positive outlook about this eyesore we now get to look at every day...he calls it the 'castle wall'. O.k. I'll go with that approach too. I'd rather us be royalty than inmates. :)

Lately, I've been trying to capture a few photos of Koen that represent some of my favorite images that I see when I look at my little boy. He is at such a precious age, learning all that he can in this huge world and trying so hard to transition from a toddler to a 'big kid'. Yet, some of the 'baby' is still there when I look at him and he still needs us so much in so many ways. When we take the stairs he feels much safer if he can hold my hand (usually just a finger). Even Nana noticed how tender this little gesture is. He tightly grips one finger, and it's as if suddenly all his anxiety about going up or down the steps disappears. I love how his little hand feels, and I love the way it looks! I'm realizing that I just love Koen's hands. I think they are one of my favorite things about him. They've always been 'big' hands for his age, yet they are so soft and small.



Another view that I love, when he drinks the milk from his cereal bowl. He's a very thorough eater, finishing every last drop (at breakfast anyway). Again, it must be the hands. I love how they look when they grasp the bowl....so sweet!



And here's a view I see every time Koen rides in his stroller. I look down and see a little tiny person, a whole, complete and complicated being stuffed into a tiny little body. I'll never stop loving the look of his miniature knees as his short legs dangle over the stroller seat, and his cute feet placed together on the foot rest. He's just riding along, going wherever I take him. And he always rides quietly, soaking in all that he can see. I love this!



I've shown him that his hands stay warmer when tucked in his pockets. Now he scarcely rides without them tucked.



I hope this phase lasts a while. I so desperately want him to grow up SLOWLY! :)

No comments: