Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The shot.

Today was a big day (for me anyway). We officially stepped onto the rickety and uncertain vaccination train (like that?). It all started about a month ago at Mom's Night Out (monthly dinner date with the PEPS group...sans toddlers!). In light of the fact that eight of us are due with child #2 this spring, the topic of vaccinations came up. Long story short, Koen is the only one of the 13 kids not vaccinated. I'll just say, the conversation grew awkward quickly (although, it might have all been in my head).

Anyway, boring but important, I got serious about my research...something I'd been planning to do for several months now. I took a little seminar on the subject, met with the pediatrician for a consultation, and now have a good plan that I feel comfortable with. Clay has left it all up to me. Yikes!

So we went into the doctor's office today, prepared with snacks, toys, and any other items that might serve as a distraction from the needle. I was a shaky, nervous mess, and Koen was busy bouncing Boba Fett around the room and eating Smarties. Nurse Fea came in, DT shot in hand, and asked me to sit up on the table with Koen in my lap. I squeezed him tightly for reassurance, bracing for the worst. He watched Fea's every move, and when she said "little pinch," he merely looked down at the needle and back up at her face with curiosity. Then he continued to play with his Santa Claus Smartie dispenser and Boba Fett figurine. That was it!? No tears (save mine)? I was baffled, proud and thrilled all at once. He was 100% un-phased by any of it.

So there it is. We have begun the process. I must say that I am very happy with this delayed schedule we've chosen and will definitely do it again with the Deuce! Koen only needs half as many shots as a two year old as he would've needed as an infant. Music to my ears.

No comments: