Friday, January 8, 2010

Sleepless in Seattle :(

Koen doesn't sleep so well these days. He's been waking up at all hours of the night, for a handful of reasons:
  • He wants a glass of water
  • There are 'skeletons' on his back (weird and sad)
  • He wants his diaper changed
  • There is a 'robot' under his bead
  • He thinks he's ready to play
  • or he's just plain sleepwalking (my personal hunch)
In the beginning of this battle, we'd say things like "Koen, it's 2:45 in the morning!" After seeing the confusion on his face night after night, it occurred to us that this means nothing to him. So we then began opening his bedroom curtains to show him the darkness outside. I even went so far as to open the front door so he could feel the icy darkness (I'm afraid I might have been the one sleepwalking that night). Anyway, he's started to tell us what time it is each time he silently appears in the darkness of our room. For some reason...it's always '45 to six'.



Pretty soon, we found ourselves waking up in his bed the next morning, our calming techniques so effective that we'd put ourselves to sleep lying next to him! Very....VERY...bad habit. Alas, I'm close to surrendering. I always pitied the poor parents who's child woke them up at the crack of dawn...now I'm throwing my own pity party.

As a result of all the late night activity, Koen is exhausted during the day. And that is good for only one thing...the return of the naps! And this kid can NAP! He's had a few marathon snoozes just this week...the kind where he wakes up looking like a drown rat, soaked in sweat.






I wouldn't mind it so much, being an early bird with Koen, except for the fact that there's nothing we can do to pass the time without waking up Finn! He sleeps until 8 o'clock!
Bless you child.

No comments: