Thursday, March 26, 2009

Bucket

...and the fish tragedy ends in a non-tragic way.

I decided to take the dead fish back to the pet store last night after Koen went to sleep. They returned my money and suggested I take home a beautiful little Betta instead. I couldn't have agreed more. In fact, I wanted to get Koen a Betta in the first place but we had decided to let him pick out his very own fish, hence the red and yellow guys. I have much better luck caring for Bettas. Our last Betta lived for FIVE years! Can you believe that? A lonely little fish in a bowl....FIVE years!

Anyway, I found a gorgeous, feisty little guy and brought him home. Koen met him while eating breakfast this morning. The look on his face was priceless...a mix between "What happened to the other fish?" and "Wow! That's a cool fish!" I think he likes this one better. He kept smiling at it, commenting on how big it is.

I explained that Boba Fett and Tomba got sick (my explanation ended there). I told him that I took them back to the pet store and got him a new fish that would be happier at our house. That's the truth right? I didn't lie. The other two did get sick, gravely.

I told him that he now needed to give this new fish a name. So he ate his cereal thoughtfully, watching the little guy swim around the bowl. By the time Koen finished his bowl of Cheerios, he had decided. He looked up at me and said, "Bucket".

:) So that is the Betta's name....Bucket. Wish us better luck with this one!


No comments: