Monday, March 30, 2009

Catch up...

This weekend, while attending a baby shower/party for some friends, Koen experienced his very first live band. He had the funniest look on his face at the beginning of their set. It was obvious that, until that very moment, he thought that music only came from radios, CD's and iPods....certainly not real people! After the initial shock and awe subsided, he began to dance, albeit gingerly. He was the only one dancing, taking small side steps around and around in a circle out on the dance floor. He brought smiles to many faces, and some people even joined him for a little while in his circular routine. It was funny and cute. After the fact, I started feeling like a bad parent though, having later noticed that all the other parents had promptly taken their small children with tender ear drums outside to play. I guess Koen got started on his lifelong hearing loss a tad early....darn, I hate that!

On Friday night, we drove over to the Kid's Quest Children's Museum which happens to be right near Clay's office building. So Clay came over to meet us after work, and Koen got to play with daddy at the museum. It was a fun, rather chaotic place. We were taking advantage of their Free Friday Nights event, along with the rest of the city! We stayed for a little while and then went out for some dinner. Here are some shots of the outing:




Then today, we had Isabel (Izzy) over to play. Koen absolutely loves his friend Izzy. From the minute I told him she was coming over until the moment she arrived, he talked about all the things he wanted to show her (Bucket the fish, his new dance moves, his newest library books, and Scruffy). We did many fun things with her. We danced, sang some songs, read some books, the kids colored a picture together, and played the 'roll game' (something Clay and Koen made up). Koen had such a blast that we made plans to see her again tomorrow!








A few funny things that Koen says/does lately:

He's very quick to request help these days for a runny nose...he'll call us into his room at night to say "Need a nosey wipe". I don't know why Clay and I think it's so cute...I guess it's the way his sweet voice sounds when he says it. He's also started going in to the bathroom to get tissues on his own. Sometimes he wipes his own nose and sometimes it's Scruffy that needs a 'nosey wipe'.

I tell ya, this boy has a serious funk factor awareness already. Today, as he was going down for his nap, he started wailing in his crib (I mean serious crying). I hurried in there to find him buried in his blankets, holding out his finger high in the air so I could see the booger stuck to it. He was trying to tell me (in between sobs) that this intruder had somehow come from his nose. He was completely horrified and after I had wiped his finger clean, he looked long and hard at it to make sure nothing remained. Wow! I'm not sure if I should laugh at this behavior, or be concerned.

He also has a coined phrase that he says often, when describing how he threw an object in the air, or jumped up high. He says, "way too high in the ky" (the last word being 'sky' without an 's'). It's so funny, because he says it very casually, as if the entire phrase is synonymous with the word 'high'. And one of my recent favorites is how he pronounces 'vitamin'. To him, it's a 'bite-a-vin'. Very close, as you can see.

And one more funny thing, he's inherited my old, broken, hot pink cell phone. Over the past few days, he's been making many imaginary phone calls, most of them to my mom. He'll come in with the phone to his ear and I say "Koen, who are you talking to?" He says, "Grammy Pat". And then he'll carry on an entire conversation with her, complete with pauses in the appropriate places. He'll ask her what she's doing, and tell her what he had for lunch, or about his favorite book, etc. Then he wraps it up with "Bye!" and snaps the phone shut.

The funniest part is when I sit next to him during one of these pretend phone calls. He'll hold the phone up to my face and say, "say 'hi' to Grammy Pat". But even, funnier is how he gives me the same direction that Clay and I always give him when talking to someone on the phone. He tells me what I should say, and then tells me to "say it loud" (just like we do when he starts to whisper into the receiver). I guess he's onto us, huh? Funny guy.

No comments: