The first day we went by ourselves. We weren't the only ones with this brilliant idea, either. The place was a mad house of sweaty people looking for any sort of relief. Luckily, you have to have a child with you in order to enter. Otherwise every Tom, Dick and Harry would've been in there!
After a while, we braved the scorching heat (103 deg....Seattle all time record high!) for a run through the International Fountain (see my entry entitled 'Visit with Grandpa' for a picture of the fountain). As you can imagine, tons of people were there playing in the water. I've always wanted to do it, but never have until that day! How refreshing it was!! Yes, I played in the fountain with Finn strapped to me in the moby wrap. He was asleep, but I know he enjoyed it. I soaked his little hat and put it on him so we could all cool off together.
The next day, we met our friends at the museum. Here are some pictures of the kids playing. Koen really got into it this time, since it was all fresh in his memory. He drove the bus AND the fire engine, and even donned a firefighter hat...usually he refuses to put on any props.
He made a 'pretend' sandwich at the 'pretend' deli...and took a 'pretend' bite!
He took a spin through the mini-mart and filled his mini-cart with meats, milk, ice cream and avocados.
And here he is on his very first date at the Taqueria with Nina. They were so cute sitting at this little booth eating their plastic tacos and black beans! Neither of them could hide their smile.
On the way home, Koen fell asleep in the car. So I parked in some shade next to the only green grass left in our neighborhood (at a church). Finn and I played on the lawn while Koen snoozed. Here is a small difference between the two boys. Koen would never had allowed this. As a baby, he hated the feel of the grass on his legs, neck, any bare skin really! We would lay him down, and he'd immediately pull a sour face with his eyes squeezed shut, shrugging his shoulders and arching his back until we picked him up. If we didn't rescue him quickly, he'd cry. Too prickly?
But Finn, he just laid there with a curious look on his face at first, and soon began to smile.
A few tidbits:
Koen has recently been overcoming his fear of insects, flies, what have you. To help him better understand and describe his feelings, we have been asking him, "Are you 'scared of' it?" So as he began to feel more confident about each confrontation with a bug...he eventually started telling me, "Mommy, I'm bave (brave) of it"...naturally, if you're not scared of something anymore, you're brave of it!
He says 'fink' instead of 'think'.
When something 'sounds like a good idea'....it's a 'soundea'. (It took us a little while to figure that one out)
Koen has also made up an imaginary place that he likes to go when he's pretending (driving, riding, walking, mailing letters, etc.) This place is called 'Alfdrina' and he says his friends live there.
He's also been terribly sweet lately, almost sickly sweet. But it's nice for a change. He and I are getting along much better since I've decided to concede in the control war and focus more of my energy on just having fun (what a difference it has made!). Anyway, he's constantly giving me little unexpected hugs and saying, "You a good mommy, Mommy!" or "That was a good dinner, Mommy!" Such a crack up! But the other day he gave me a compliment I wasn't so sure about. As I crawled around on the floor after breakfast, wiping up his spilled cheerios and eggs, he patted me on the head and said, "You a good cleaner for me, Mommy!" Huh? O.k. Thanks, I guess?



2 comments:
you guys look like you have so much fun! i need to come meet f, and see k for the first time in a year!
We do have fun, Dev! We'd even step it up a notch if our uncle came to visit! Come see us!
Post a Comment