Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Adventures in Eating

Today we had a new experience.  While eating his breakfast, K took a huge sip of water and somehow it went up and out his nose rather than down his esophagus.  The look of sheer terror on his face was heart wrenching.  He reached out for me as he sputtered and coughed...then proceeded to sneeze uncontrollably.  With his nose as runny as it has been, one can imagine the mess.  :(  Once the whole ordeal was over, and I cleaned him up, he sat in his big boy chair (not a high chair) holding his fork in one hand and spoon in the other, and cried.  I think it scared him pretty good.  Poor little guy.  I just hugged him and rubbed his back until he felt better.

By the way, he has really taken to eating his food with a fork.  He loves to do it every meal now, and he's getting better at it every day.  We're still working on the spoon.  It's hard to eat hot mush when every spoonful falls into your lap because you rotate the spoon upside down just at the last minute.  I help with this.


And since it rained non-stop today (no joke...not one moment of clear since we woke up), we did indoor activities like vacuuming, mopping and coloring with crayons. K and I both enjoyed the latter most of all.  He really got into it today, sitting in the bright kitchen nook with all twelve colors to choose from.  Eventually, he grew bored of the drawing thing, and discovered it was much more fun to roll crayons across the table until they were all on the floor.  Oh the giggles this inspired!



No comments: