Thursday, June 5, 2008

My Gasoline Boycott

While driving by our neighborhood gas station, I noticed the price of REGULAR gasoline (are you sitting down?)...$4.27.  I KNOW!  I almost drove off the road.  Right then and there, on the way home from the grocery store, a mere 4 blocks from our house, I made a pledge to drive as little as absolutely possible!  Seriously, I live in one of the most accessible cities in the country, what am I waiting for?  And as if I needed a sign to drop out of the sky, C came home last night with the free annual bus pass (a benefit offered by his new employer)...it's worth about $1000!  O.k. now I have no excuse, nor did I want one.

So we started off today by walking to library story time in the rain.  Yep,
it started to rain (not sprinkle), 2 minutes before we were about to walk out the door.  For a half-second I thought..."ehhh, I'll start my gas-free pledge tomorrow" but then quickly checked myself.  My dear, you live in SEATTLE!  It rains 80% of the year....buck up and walk!  So we donned the rain gear and headed out.  It turned out to be a fun adventure, and when we got there and parked the stroller in a room with about 25 other wet strollers, I realized I'm in good company here.

My friend from college met us there with his 2 year old.  Afterward, we walked across the street to this great indoor play area for little kids.  The little boys had a good time playing and socializing with about 100 other little kids with the same idea.  It was our first play date, and turned out to be super fun.  I look forward to many more fun days like this one!

   

No comments: